[support] Critique of request for help, please?

Steven Scotten steves at splicer.com
Sat Sep 19 08:02:17 UTC 2009

I've read several FAQ-type documents that detail the best way to ask
for help on usenet, mailing lists, and the like. Yet I still seem to
do a poor job of describing issues I encounter. So I'm going to link a
request for help I made and ask for specifically what I've missed, so
that in the future perhaps I can make my questions more friendly to
those that might be able to answer them.

http://drupal.org/node/387900

My guess is that there are four possible reasons that I haven't
received a response. They are (in decreasing order of likelihood):

1) I have provided incomplete information.
2) The question's answer is so obvious that no one bothers to answer it
3) The question is difficult enough that no one can answer it
4) No one ever looks at the Location Views issue queue

There's really nothing I can do about possibilities #3 and #4. If #2
is correct then perhaps a new career path is in order. So I'm hoping
that I am woefully inept at asking for help.

I have included a clear example of the problem, a link to a
description of a similar problem (and the patch I applied),
descriptions of the ways I've tried to work around the problem, and
why those methods failed.

Please tell me: what can I do differently to get a better chance of a
response?

Thank you,

Steve