[support] Drupal 7 not ready yet

Pierre Rineau pierre.rineau at makina-corpus.com
Mon Dec 6 09:23:22 UTC 2010

Le lundi 06 décembre 2010 à 18:05 +1100, Roger a écrit :
> <snip>
> FYI, I tried Drupal 7 (also as a new user) and found it not ready for
> newbies to use. Many of the themes and modules have not been updated yet,
> </snip>
>
> I'm saddened by this also.
> I want to start building a Drupal 7 site but even basic well known and
> desperately needed modules and themes have the famous "I pledge that
> this or that will be ready when Drupal 7 is released".
> Surely, now that the code is locked (Drupalcon June 2010) we can have
> some of the more well known modules.
> My basic Drupal 7 was killed by a D7 beta update last week after getting
> views almost working, had to reinstall the pre update release.
> I'd love to be working with D7.

Personally, I tried a D6 to D7 upgrade with a copy of my personal blog,
and it worked great. The only thing I regret is that D7 seems to be
slower, but aside of that, it worked nicely!

Except the views module, but I think I'm going to abandon this module
for a lot of sites that don't really need it, at least I don't have to
wait for it to be stable :) Doing a custom block or a custom page is
sometime really faster than doing the views equivalent.

A lot of modules are still missing but it's normal, the freeze just
happened, a lot of them will be ported quickly I think (basic module
porting to D7 is relatively simple).

There are a lot of features in core that make it almost self-sufficient
for a lot of basic sites even without any contrib modules.

Pierre.