[support] [OT ?] A good ISP for a 200.000+ page views site.

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Jan 6 19:22:24 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 12:49:43 pm Vivek Khurana wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Michel Morelli <michel at ziobuddalabs.it>
wrote:
> > Vivek Khurana ha scritto:
> >>  Your question is very abstract, we need more data like
> >>
> >>  -- target countries of the portal
> >
> > Italy for the moment.
>
>  My experience is when your app is focused on one country, hosting
> server in that country gives lot of speed benefits. I for instance,
> host all my India specific apps in India and ensure that the server
> has latency in the range of 85ms to 120 ms, anywhere in India. This
> becomes crucial when serving non text data such as images.
>  So my suggestion will be to look for a datacenter in Italy, and test
> the latency before buying the services and have the datacenter sign an
> SLA with maximum latency for Italian visitors, for this you can search
> for Italy specific ISP/broadband forums.
>
> regards
> Vivek

I'd also recommend focusing on "managed VPS" hosts.  They'll cost a bit more
than an unmanaged host or a shared host, but it's a good balance between
having your own "server" (and therefore being able to customize it) and not
having to maintain your own server (the web host is responsible for security
updates to Apache and PHP and such).  I don't know any in Italy off hand, but
I'm sure there are some with data centers in your area.

--Larry Garfield