[support] Best version control practices

steve at mirapod.com steve at mirapod.com
Fri May 28 19:15:11 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-28 12:24 , Kevin Davison wrote:
> I'm a proponent of packaging settings into code (out of the DB) with the Features module, along with sharing content changes between development and production (either way) with Deploy and Services. And then you have your settings to check-in to Git repositories for tracking and "easier" deployment.

i have used Features for configuration; it's got a learning curve, but
one that tends to enforce a discipline, and then you can use your
preference of source control to manage versioned updates to your
configuration; it's a great solution, though it has limitations; you can
use custom modules with install hooks to capture other configuration
that Features can't handle

i know of Deployment as a solution for content, but haven't used it; i
think managing content is a much harder problem

[apologies if my reply from a different address also comes through; from
past experience, i'm assuming that mailserver is on a blacklist]