[support] Didn't fully understand how vulnerable computers and their data are...

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Wed Sep 15 23:54:52 UTC 2010

and how pointless parental controls are if the kid is a geek.

I'm coaching my kid's school on how to teach parents to sue parental
controls, web filtering... blah blah. I was doing some reading and just
learned how simple it is to take over someone's computer if you have
physical access to it.

On a Mac, hold down command-S after the chime and you get to a command line
with root user privileges. From there you can change root password or create
another admin user account which you can hide... etc. etc. I can't believe I
didn't know that.

There is a partial fix for that by adding a "firmware password."
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

I just can't believe I didn't know that.

Shai