[support] Drupal7 should send notification about updates

Jason Flatt drupal at oadaeh.net
Wed Dec 14 17:10:26 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 08:19 AM, Matthias Fechner wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have now some time a drupal 7.10 installation running.
> Some modules are outdated, but I got no notification from the system
> that there are updates available.
>
> Under /#overlay=admin/reports/updates/settings I filled my email
> address, selected daily check and send for all versions.
>
> Under reports I see that the cron process was execute 1 hour 17 minutes
> ago, so I think with the cron process is everything fine.
>
> Is this a bug in drupal7 or must I setup some more options?
>
> Thanks
> Matthias

Have you set up your Drupal 7 site up on a computer that does not have a
mail transfer agent on it, like your local computer or a Windows server?
  If so, you won't see any of the messages Drupal sends, because there
is no software installed on the computer to send the messages with.

To test, try sending yourself a message using the Contact module.  If
you do not receive that message, then you most likely do not have a mail
transfer agent installed on that computer.

If you cannot or are not allowed to install a mail transfer agent, you
can use either the PHPMailer module [1] or the SMTP Authentication
Support module [2].  Be sure to follow the directions for installation,
because both modules require an external library.

[1] http://drupal.org/project/phpmailer
[2] http://drupal.org/project/smtp

--
Jason Flatt