[support] Which one is preferable - Drupal 6 OR Drupal 7

prothero prothero at geol.ucsb.edu
Mon Feb 21 19:00:43 UTC 2011

The choice of whether to use Drupal 7 now  will depend on whether you
already have Drupal experience, and your tolerance for pain. Drupal 7
sounds really great, but every one of the folks recommending Drupal 7
be used now, have stated that you will be helping debug and
contributing to the community. This is great if you have the relevant
skills,  but for a newby using mostly modules and standard
capabilities, will probably have a more satisfying experience by going
to D6 now and upgrading in 6 mo. For example, I notice that ubercart
is in beta1. For some, this is an important module. The issue of the
availability of documentation and help books is also critical,
especially for newbies. Drupal is somewhat complicated and a newby
isn't going to know whether an issue is a bug, or a feature. Also, it
sounds like there is plenty of help for upgrading to D7 from D6.

So, that said, it seems that the options are laid out pretty clearly
by the replies to the initial question. Also, I'm very much looking
forward to upgrading my D6 site to 7. The features listed below sound
really nice.

Regards,
Bill

William A. Prothero