[support] SOLR or Sphinx

Chad Fennell fenne035 at umn.edu
Tue Aug 28 14:03:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Kamal Palei <palei.kamal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
> As I will be first time implementing searching stuff , need some guidance
> from you.
>
> My requirement is I need to search key words from tables, or from files
> stored in web server.
> When I was seraching in google, came across SOLR and Sphinx.
>
> I hope both SOLR and Sphinx can support searching from tables as well as
> from file contents.
> Please correct me if I am wrong in above assumption.
> Also I assume both SOLR and Sphinx both have capability to do a full text
> search, do search for misspelled words etc.
>
> Which one is easy to integrate with Drupal 6?

I have only ever used Solr, but Sphinx does seem awesome in some
respects. But, if you are planning on indexing file contents, Solr may
be the better option for you.  It certainly seems easier to achieve
that feature in Solr than Sphinx, depending what sort of documents you
are talking about:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1207995/indexing-word-documents-and-pdfs-with-sphinx

FWIW, here's a module that would help you to search documents in Drupal:

http://drupal.org/project/apachesolr_attachments

Yes, Solr handles/helps with misspelled words
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent). And beyond that,
pretty much all indexers take words from your content and try to
reduce them down to more basic forms so that searches for plural words
(cats) also finds the singular form (cat).  This is done through a
process known as "Stemming" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemming.

Some much more complete Solr vs Sphinx round-ups:

http://www.quora.com/How-do-Solr-Lucene-and-Sphinx-compare
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1284083/choosing-a-stand-alone-full-text-search-server-sphinx-or-solr
http://beerpla.net/2009/09/03/comparison-between-solr-and-sphinx-search-servers-solr-vs-sphinx-fight/

Best of luck.