[support] Drupal obfuscation

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 19 14:42:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Austin Einter wrote:
> Dear All
> I am sorry if I am asking a wrong question here. But to proceed further I
> need your suggestion/advise.
>
> Is it legal to obfuscation Drupal code base (that contains Druapl standard
> released code and custom modules developed by us).
> The main reason is I want to safeguard the code, as I will be hosting the
> site in a shared environment. Will there be any license violation if I do
> obfuscation.
>
> And to do obfuscation, what are the different tools available. I googled and
> found zends tool set, but if somebody has good experience in this regard
> kindly suggest which tool is better one. Most likely I will be using ubuntu
> platform to host the site. To use zends tool send, is it mandatory to use
> zends server. I do not have much idea in this regard and any
> suggestion/input highly appreciated.

The license for Drupal is GPL and a custom module is considered a
modified work and the code must also be GPL.  However, if you do not
distribute the custom module then there would be no issue of licensing
and obfuscation would be allowed.  If you distribute the code the
obfuscation would not be allowed.

IANAL, if you need legal advice use someone that is,
--
Earnie