[support] Fed up with Drupal 7 Fatal error: Allowed memory size....

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 4 06:43:32 UTC 2013

My heart just sank into oblivion.
I am sooooo sad and fed up with the latest and incessant: Fatal error:
Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate
9331811 bytes) in ...... when I try to add a Content Type in Drupal 7.
Months of research, lots of help from this list community and carefully
inspecting files apparently achieved nothing.

  I think I solved it on Fedora 18 on a local copy, do not know how
though,  but just now, working on the server in my local Fedora 18 and
testing on Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 12.10 all with latest updates, except
for F16 which is end of life but a good static test platform because it
does not have the latest php updates. All of them give the same error.

For heavens sake can't the Drupal experts please do something to stop
trying to allocate inappropriate bytes, or at least create a
comprehensive easy to work through tutorial about this ghastly
debilitating error, highlighting all of the reasons it occurs and how to
fix it. There's a lot of pages about it on the web but it's still not
permanently solved and it's unfair that we have to search long and hard
to find possible answers.

After all said and done, it's probably a php fault or a php/apache fault
and not Drupal at all, so please Drupal move to Ruby with it's inherent
security and alternative web servers and get away from php entirely.

My apologies for this very disheartened rant. I do not wish to offend
those who love and understand php but from what I've read lately,  it is
old hat nowadays and struggling to keep up appearances, at least that's
my take on it after a lot of reading on pro's and con's.
Apologies for a convoluted rant, I'm in a hellava bind and not thinking
straight at the moment.
Roger