[support] Fed up with Drupal 7 ... Desperately.....modules.etc

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 6 02:34:53 UTC 2013

Memory limits of 128mb or more is not uncommon. It's even stated in the
online documentation: A PHP memory limit of 32MB is the minimum
requirement for Drupal 7 (16MB for Drupal 6), and 64MB is recommended.
Some sites may need more than 64MB if they are using certain contributed
modules such as Views and Panels. Memory limits of 128MB and higher are
not unusual. There are several techniques to increase the PHP memory
limit and you only need to use one of them. The right one for you
depends on your system configuration. http://drupal.org/node/207036
Views and Panels are heavy modules. That's the price we pay for the ease
in site building they provide. The other option is to not use them and
go with custom code to generate your content and displays. Any site I
build I evaluate what needs to be done and what will need to be done in
the future before installing Views and/or Panels. Of course that's not
an easy option for people not familiar with Drupal development. As far
as Views, it will get better in Drupal 8, since it is going into core
and will get a lot more attention from the development side as well as
tighter integration into Drupal overall. Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net http://www.hollyit.net On 4/5/2013 2:26 AM,
John Summerfield wrote:

>> >In contrast, I just created a site with a few modules and themes, and
>> >without adding so much as any new content type or content, I did get
>> >memory problems
>> >
>> >I'm using CentOS 6. PHP 5.3.3 with all the latest relevant updates. It
>> >happened the first day drupal 7.22 was available and it appeared to be
>> >provoked by Jackson. Not having persuaded myself I actually want
>> >Jackson, it was easy to dispense with it. I do have the memory limit set
>> >to 128Mbytes.
>> >
>> >However, this isn't Roger's problem.

Apologies for not snipping the above but the discussion encapsulates a
number of my experiences.

When installing Drupal, there should be no reason to jump through hoops
to configure just because of Drupal, this seems to imply a fault with
the Drupal installation or pre configuration. We can't always blame the
user.

Yes I agree it happened on earlier releases of Drupal 7.
I find that a brand new install with minimal modules and no data or
configuration changes will cause the Fatal memory error and have
experienced this on 3 unrelated computers and 3 different operating systems.

I have tried memory settings between 64M and 512M, even went to 1024M,
half the memory on one of my machines.
Interesting to note that each test resulted in a different Fatal error
allowance report , except the 1024M which almost doubled the numbers of
the original 64M.

Side note.
I just updated the server to Drupal-7.22 and the Fatal memory problem
remains. But not on my home systems to which I copied the whole file
system and database. I have no way of addressing shared server issues
other than /settings.php so thinking if Views and Panels, etc are a
problematic Drupal overhead and it's better to build from scratch,
Drupal becomes an increasing burden. I think I'll gradually move away
from Drupal. Seems it's pretty much, not worth the effort.

Roger