[support] Rules redirect

John Summerfield summer at js.id.au
Sat Jun 8 03:03:15 UTC 2013

On 06/06/13 14:51, Roger wrote:
> Hi all
> Our Drupal 7 site is under constant attack from the Chinese.
> In Rails there is an easy way to redirect pretty much anything off site
> or to other page/s not in the system and hide the url.
>
> Also is there a better way of hiding the url of user login
>
> I have tried to set up Rules in Drupal 7 to simply redirect [Page not
> found] responses  back to the front page or better still out of the
> Drupal 7 system completely.
> I've had no success.
>
> Can someone please direct me on how to set up such a Rule on our site.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Roger

In my case, I want to hide only the register page from undesirables.

I installed the ip2country module, enabled it, disabled it. It doesn't
actually work properly, but I like its data.

Then I use a trivial custom module to use the ip2country data to
discover whether the anonymous visitor is in Australia. If not, they're
redirected to / with a short message.

I've not looked into it, but I expect it's equally simple to assign a
role, "nice_user" to everyone you do like based on the country or IP
address-range and authorise nice_user to the lowest level you allow to
post comments or whatever, maybe including use of contact forms.
Authorised users can view, nice_users can post.

I don't like the idea of banning single IP addresses, I'm more likely to
ban /24 networks, supposing that makes it harder to get a new IP
address, but making it relatively unlikely ban nice users.