[support] Varnish issue - Authenticated users get cached page

Austin Einter austin.einter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 03:12:09 UTC 2013

Dear All
After a lot of struggle I have been able to install Varnish and Memcache.

Timebeing Memcache I have disabled (actually could not realize if it made
any difference in page loading for authenticated users, will take it up
after done with Varnish configuration improvements).

With Varnish my observations are

1. It works great.
2. But sometimes, it behaves crazy. It gives cached pages to authenticated
users.

Is there any rule I can put in VCL file, where it will mandate that the
logged in users should not be given cached pages. If this can not be
achieved then probably I would not be able to use Varnish. I am sure there
must be a way out.

I have used both the VCL files given in links below, and my observation is
same.

1. VCL sample from lullaboat
http://www.lullabot.com/sites/lullabot.com/files/default_varnish3.vcl_.txt

2. VCL sample from four kitchens