[support] Ckeditor not visible by drupal, the dripal version doesn't work

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Thu Oct 10 01:08:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

New user here.  I've installed drupal7 (7.14-2) as a debian package on wheezy.
Then, read lots of docs and tried to follow the tutorial here:

https://drupal.org/node/1924660

It says to install new modules, so I successfully installed

admin_menu-7.x-3.0-rc4.tar.gz
imce-7.x-1.7.tar.gz

into modules/contrib (I had to create contrib).  With the same procedure
I installed

ckeditor_4.2.1_full.zip

but whereas the other two became visible to drupal and can be enabled,
ckeditor never shows up.

The above tutorial says "not to use the drupal version", so I downloaded
the one from ckeditor.com (the home page of ckeditor).

If I point the browser to

http://localhost/drupal7/modules/contrib/ckeditor/samples/

the page comes up just fine.

Of course I've googled the problem, but all the pages are rather old (2009
or so and some refer to fckeditor).  None of the suggestions found there
have made any difference.

I also tried the Modules->Install new module within drupal and entered the
zip file, but it failed, claiming that the package didn't have any *.info
files.

Then, against the advice in the tutorial, I downloaded the drupal version,
which is (according to the size and version number) a very minimal sub-set
and/or obsolete compared to the 4.2.1_full version.

 1300736 Oct  9 16:15 ckeditor_4.2.1_full.zip
  242724 Oct  9 18:48 ckeditor-7.x-1.13.tar.gz

The latter does have an *.info file and installed properly (it is visible).
So, either the above tutorial needs to say that using the old/minimalist
ckeditor from drupal is what should be done, or additional instructions
need to be given to make the version from ckeditor.com work.

After all that, I thought the drupal/old version would work, but I get this:

  The CKEditor component is not installed correctly. Please go to the
  CKEditor homepage in order to download the latest version. After that
  you must extract the files to the sites/all/modules/ckeditor/ckeditor
  or sites/all/libraries/ckeditor directory and make sure that the
  sites/all/modules/ckeditor/ckeditor/ckeditor.js or
  sites/all/libraries/ckeditor/ckeditor.js file exists. Refer to the
  README.txt file for more information.

Of course, the version this message tells me to go download is the one I had
downloaded in the first place and wasn't visible to drupal.

HELP! what am I missing?  Any idea what needs to be done?

Augustine