[themes] how to stop a 'view' from showing a field?

sebastian inforazor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 02:20:31 UTC 2009

Thank you Steve,

I've looked into the theming of the fields, and I have copied a new:

"view-view-fields.tpl.php"

file to my theme folder.

I can get it to react, but I am lacking some basic PHP wisdom.

I want to make a conditional statement, so that if the "title" property
of the field is empty, don't display anything. My problem is I can't see
how to access the title.

This is definitely wrong [line 2 is the important one], but here is how
I am trying it:

<?php if ( $field->class == "field-pdf-fid" ): ?>
     <?php if ( $field->title != "" ): ?>

      <<?php print $field->inline_html;?> class="views-field-<?php print
$field->class; ?>">
		<?php if ($field->label): ?>
		  <label class="views-label-<?php print $field->class; ?>">
			<?php print $field->label; ?>:
		  </label>
		<?php endif; ?>
		  <?php
		  // $field->element_type is either SPAN or DIV depending upon whether
or not
		  // the field is a 'block' element type or 'inline' element type.
		  ?>
		  <<?php print $field->element_type; ?> class="field-content"><?php
print $field->content; ?></<?php print $field->element_type; ?>>
	  </<?php print $field->inline_html;?>>

     <?php endif; ?>
   <?php endif; ?>

Thanks a bunch Steve!

p.s. I can't see how to combine && and || conditionals or 'else'
statements in PHP code written like this without throwing a huge error.
I'm used to seeing PHP code written more as a flow without constant
<?PHP : ?> breaks... anyways, not critical for now as I can work around
it, but it is bugging me. Also, isn't the "->" an assignment operation?
It's use here baffles me... Yes: I'm a wee green newbie php person, sigh.

Kind,

Sebastian.