[themes] how to stop a 'view' from showing a field?

sebastian inforazor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 04:23:22 UTC 2009

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the link,

I've been trussing about for a few hours, but I can't get anything
meaningful to output.

I added:

<?php
   print '<pre>' . htmlentities(print_r($rows, 1)) . '</pre>';
?>

To the views-view.tpl.php and got this output:

Array ( [0] => template_file [1] => variables [2] => template_files [3]
=> view [4] => zebra [5] => id [6] => directory [7] => is_admin [8] =>
is_front [9] => logged_in [10] => db_is_active [11] => user [12] => rows
[13] => css_name [14] => name [15] => display_id [16] => empty [17] =>
exposed [18] => header [19] => footer [20] => more [21] => feed_icon
[22] => attachment_before [23] => attachment_after [24] => pager [25] =>
admin_links_raw [26] => admin_links [27] => dom_id )

Which doesn't really help me [i think], unless I am expected to dig into
each level from here??

If I look at the comments in the
Views->theme->information->views-view.tpl.php

I see no change to the comments written there, though I do see the above
Array stuff re-printed to the comments area.

If I put the above code instead into: views-view-fields.tpl.php

Then I get no output change when I run the page [strage?] and if i look
at Views->theme->information->views-view-fields.tpl.php or at
views-view.tpl.php I see no change to the comments at the top, nor any
output at the bottom [ie no change at all]

Am I putting it in the wrong file?

If I try add be 'smart' and add:

<?php
   print '<pre>' . htmlentities(print_r($fields, 1)) . '</pre>';

?>

To the bottom of the: views-view-fields.tpl.php file, I break the
page... [get a 100% "white" page]

Sigh, Still trying to figure out how I can simply identify variables...
:P

Thanks!

Sebastian.