[translations] Empty Strings

Martin Stadler mstadler at gmx.de
Fri Aug 3 22:05:54 UTC 2007

So empty strings in a .po file override already translated strings if
I import them...

I know the current system of contrib translation is far from good and
people are working on it (d6, SoC...). Anyways, here's my scenario:

I started translating some contrib modules I use (into German). Of
course I want my work to be commited to the drupal CVS. I read the
translations handbook and got used to some gettext tools, merging
etc. What I did was extracting a fresh .pot file, merging it with the
core de.po into the module's de.po and started translating the still
empty strings. Sometimes it's too much work and it seems to be enough
to only translate the strings that will be visible to the end-user
leaving the rest of the strings empty. After importing and testing I
filed issues in the respective projects attaching my de.po files.

Now I found out that empty translation strings will override already
translated strings in the override mode of the import feature of
drupal. As I merged the core .po file with my .pot this is only a
problem if the string doesn't exist in core but does in another
contrib module with an existing translation which is already
imported. I cannot merge all module's translations with the one I'm
about to create. So it may happen that I override an existing
translation of a contrib module with an empty string of another's
module's translation. To me it makes sense to keep empty string in my
translation file as I or someone else will propably continue to work
on that file. But as these empty strings are soon part of the
official stable modules they can override other's translations too.
Of course I could import them without overriding existing strings but
sometimes I want to update my translation...

Is there any solution to this problem? A tool to delete the empty
strings as a workaround? What kind of .po files should I commit in
the future?

Sorry for the long text and repetitions...

Cheers,
Standart