[translations] central space for contrib pos

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Aug 5 08:26:42 UTC 2007

Alaa Abd El Fattah wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 23:40:27 +0200
> Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:
>
>> Yes, that was a bad idea, and it is a *very* bad idea to have this
>> ar_contrib project. Maybe you find it hard to quality control your
>> translations, but it would be very hard to pair modules *and* their
>> branches and several releases, if you have your own directory tree.
>>
>> With Google Summer of Code support, I am working on a solution for
>> you. Read this: http://groups.drupal.org/node/5219
>
> that is all fine, but what right now? how do other translation teams
> handle this?
>
> if we have multiple translators and someone reviewing all translations
> to maintain consistency. how do you collaborate right now?

The Hungarian team used to have a private SVN repository with a custom
directory tree, but we found that it is *very* inconvenient, for the
reasons I mentioned: you need to copy over your files to the real CVS
folders and this needs to be synced, so there will be stuff not in sync
naturally.

So we migrated all our translation work to the drupal.org provided CVS
repository, and set up a Yahoo Pipe to look for all Hungarian
translation changes to review: http://drupal.hu/english/node/11 This
Yahoo Pipe is easly configurable for your language too, and you can use
the Drupal aggregator to collect all action that happens around you PO
files (even if it is not made by your translation team, who are aware of
your policies!). We do it here: http://drupal.hu/aggregator/sources/2

There are translation teams using project and/or case tracker module to
manage their translations now, which makes for another layer of
complication. As we are aiming to eliminate such complications with the
localization server, I would not advise you to go that route now. The
pipe is easy to set up and use however in the meantime. You can even
subscribe to it on an rss2email service, so you get all commit mails on
your translations.

Gabor