[translations] updating translations: how valuable is user data after all?

Alexandre Racine alexandreracine at gmail.com
Tue May 22 23:04:17 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:

> Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> > Alexandre Racine wrote:
> >> How about leaving this has options? Overwrite or not in the website
> >> settings or in the local module...?
> >>
> >> Or... asking the administrator what should be best on one page?
> >> Like...
> >>
> >> string1 that you have [ ] - string2 witch is new [ ]
> >
> > Do you think this is viable if you have to import around 30-60 PO files
> > in multiple successive HTTP requests? Where would we collect these
> > changes? If a translation team updated tens of strings, who would read
> > and click through them all?
>
> Add this in: you have three or more languages on the site, and you are
> the admin. Do you know all three languages to decide what translation is
> better for each case? Do you care to read through all the changes in all
> the languages? (It could even take hours).

Whatever the answer is, it is clear to me that the user should have the
choice to have a default value. Either overwrite all the time or not. This
should be an option in the locale module or something similar.

If everything is controlled by the website drupal.org, it would be
interesting to have some kind of Rosetta (https://launchpad.net/rosetta)
online to translate everything. I am not saying that Rosetta is perfect
here, but online user-base-revision translations is the way to go if Drupal
software just downloads everything from the website.

> If a translation team updated tens of strings, who would read
> and click through them all?

Not one by one. In my idea, this would be more efficient on one page or 100
per page max. That might not be the best solution.

Gabor

Alexandre Racine
www.salsamontreal.com - La référence Salsa!
www.alexandreracine.com - Site perso.