[consulting] Howdy! . . .

Jason Flatt drupal at oadae.net
Sat Dec 3 16:34:06 UTC 2005

I am excited about the potential opportunity represented by this list.  I am a
long time (10.5-ish yrs) computer consultant, doing everything for clients
with software, hardware and networks.  I'm rather burned out with the
continuous and relentless onslaught of spyware and virus removal, and looking
to do more of the thing I've wanted to do for more than 15 or 20 yrs --
programming.

I've been wanting to get more into PHP, 'cause, to be honest, I'm rather
enamored with the language (like I never was with C :^)) and it's
possibilities.  I've dabbled with it on various pet projects and small tasks
for clients, and I read through the version 4 manual (now I guess I need to
read the version 5 manual :^)).  I'm currently in a transitional period
getting out of the computer service business and looking for something to do
more in the programming field, especially with PHP and/or database
administration.

When I saw the announcement for this list yesterday, I thought it would be the
perfect thing for me to do.  It would combine my experience with consulting
and my desire to get more into programming with something I have loved for a
long time -- Drupal.  I've been playing with Drupal on and off since about
version 4.2.  I'm currently maintaining 2 sites, one I setup from scratch,
and am in the process of creating 2 more.  What really did it for me was one
experience I had with Drupal about 2 or 3 yrs ago, when I was just evaluating
it (and some others) for the replacement of an existing web site, which was a
mish-mash of various softwares and custom coding.  I sat down one morning and
was able to create a fully functioning web site in about two hours, complete
with several add-on modules and a modified theme.  The site wasn't totally
done at that time, but I was convinced of the power, ease-of-use and
flexibility of Drupal, and have used or considered nothing else since then.

I am also looking forward to 4.7 mostly for the improved search
functionality.  :^)

I guess since others are doing it, I should state that I live in Las Vegas,
Nevada, US and I'm not really interested in traveling for work.  I'm not
picky on the type of client, but there are a few industries I won't take on.
I haven't got my new business setup, but once I do, it'll be called
Oadae.net.  (Not very original, but it has meaning for me.)

So, enough rambling about me.  I'm curious about this list and it's purpose
and the other members on it.  Is this list's primary purpose for consultants
to share opinions and ideas, or for clients to find consultants, or both, or
something else?  :^)  Also, what kind of "services" do you all offer as
"Drupal Consultants"?  Is it primarily web site setup and design, or site
maintenance, or custom programming to extend and enhance a Drupal web site,
or all of the above, or something else?

--
Jason Flatt
http://www.oadae.net/