[consulting] exporting a site.

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Fri Dec 9 23:35:21 UTC 2005

On 12/9/05, John Sechrest <sechrest at jas.peak.org> wrote:

>  I thought I would introduce some content questions into the consulting
>  list. I am teaching a course (cs312 - intro to system adminstration)
>  and I used drupal for the class. I would now like to export the site,
>  so that students can walk away with copies of the site.
>
>  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this?

You need to give them two things:

1) An archive (e.g. zip file or tar.gz file) of the directory where
Drupal is installed.

2) A dump of the database. This can be done via the mysqldump command
or using phpMyAdmin.

Note that the the site they will have will have the email address of
the admin, as well as other users, so if privacy is a concern, you
have to change those before you dump the database.

>  And specifically, does anyone have any thoughts on how to take some sections
>  of nodes from one drupal site and move them to another.

Depending on the number of nodes, you may just copy/paste content to the site.

Otherwise, you need to export the nodes and then use the node_import
http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/node_import