[consulting] managing many sites

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Wed Dec 14 07:37:03 UTC 2005

James Walker <walkah at walkah.net> writes:

 % what "services" are you turning off?

 I was turning off blocks on the main page, so that the complexity of
 the page was smaller. No who's on. no rss feed syndications. No last
 comments.... Just making the page simpler....

 Fewer database queries per page mostly.

 % also, your initial claim was that
 % modules that weren't even "turned on" were slowing your site down...

 Yes, I believe the site is simpler in the blocks than the other
 one, but it is still slower.

 As I said earlier, I really need to do a systematic evaluation
 of the modules before I can get you the real details that will help you.

 % >  But there is a speed issue with drupal.

 % given what the two of them do, and the required code to do them ... was
 % this really surprising at all?

 Not really. However, the key was that I got LOTS of complains about drupal speed
 and the user interface threshold of 1.5 seconds was cross and made
 life hard for many of us in the class. So drupal definately will need
 some specific attention to speed if they are going to keep
 the experience positive.

 % >  And so It is interesting to see where the tradeoffs are.

 % indeed. performance tuning is hard. particularly in a system like Drupal
 % where so much depends on the underlying layers (LAMP, etc)... throw in
 % UML (which has some behavioural gotchas of it's own) and you've got a
 % lot of things to think about.

 And toss in many different modules which have different process...
 Definately no shortage of things to think about.

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                             .