[consulting] Managing look at feel...

Javier Linares devel at javierlinares.com
Wed Dec 14 20:23:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:02:57PM -0800, Dan Robinson wrote:
> This is exactly our experience.  Even though it is very sub-optimal from
> an engineering and management point of view (creates a bottleneck at the
> beginning of the process) it is the process that most customers
> understand and expect.  In our experience the decisions around what the
> website will look like are very important (and emotional).  Showing them
> an "out of the box" design and saying "it will all look different after
> we finish the themeing" doesn't work.

Actually, I have been thinking in 2006 we could look for and hire a good
CSS designer/hacker and then when we actually send the TIFF this is a
screenshot of a working Drupal theme with that design.

I'm a PHP coder and don't know too much about CSS, but I reach that
conclusion because in practice we only have 2-3 different kind of designs.
And I think someone with enough CSS skills could use 2-3 themes to produce
those designs and then change one or another to make the graphical
proposal.

That way, maybe we are a little bit slowlier at the beginning, but once the
customer say ok to the design we would already have most of the theme ready
begin coding.

I'll tell you the result once I have done a couple of projects that way. :)

--
Javier Linares     http://interactors.coop | http://javierlinares.com