[consulting] DrupalCOM: european Small Business distro

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Sat Dec 17 19:31:22 UTC 2005

>> Our Services
>>     Strategy
>>     Marketing
>>     Technology Consulting
>> Customers
>>    Government
>>         Education
>>         Services
>>     Telecom
>>         Wireless
>>          POTS
>> Team
>>    Board
>>    Investors
>>    Employees
>> News
>> [login]
>>
>> Once that is done I should have a site with menus - DONE
>>

> Most small businesses have this sort of brochure site. From a
> communications pov it is too self centered. Actually what you really
> need, is to tell your clients that you have satisfied clients, let
> them do the talking. And you need to talk about your clients in a way
> such that the new prospect client who finds your website can recognize
> himself and his organization in this. He is really not that interested
> in board and investors (unless he needs to do due diligence), so
> unless the goal of the site is to satisfy journalists, this is a
> secondary priority. (And I know that your structure is very common,
> but I feel I must say this).
>
> Clients
>       General Node [here we tell about the verticals, what they
> accomplish by working with us, how all this adds up to a focussed
> business where my clients get value from the synergy effect etc. Links
> to the verticals - as well as verticals in the menu. Probably one or
> two short quotations from clients.]
>              Government [Here we imply that we deal with industry
> verticals - {add vertical...}]
>             Ministry of energy
>                      Endorsement/Goals/Scope/Timeline/ [This is one
> structured node starting with the most important part: That the client
> loves you!]
>             Board of Technology Assesment
>                      [Same structure as above]
>       Oil/Gas
>                      [Same structure as Government vertical]
>
> Small companies often have products!
> Presenting productlines and products can be done in "ecommerce", but
> that would be too ambitious. A dummy node with a structure and dummy
> text - unpublished and an instruction to "create new node from this" -
> which I believe is a contrib module???
> That might work.
> This would be a "content template".
> Because once you have structure and navigation figured out, you should
> take a look at the content itself - the communicative structure of the
> text etc. Often this is where small companies go very wrong.

You are completely correct that the "Inforomation Architecture" that I
layed out was incomplete and just non-sensical - I did not mean to
propose that the specific pages/titles/organization I indicated would be
a real site - just that it was a general example so people could "grok"
what I was talking about.  This conversation exactly deals with the
problem I'm trying to address - everyone wants to do the same thing
(easily specify pages for the website) and needs the freedom to do it
whatever way makes sense for them and their customers.  Any solution
should allow me to make the mistakes I have obviously made and for
Gunnar to do the work he needs to do - quickly and effectively.