[consulting] the Ultimate forum based Malinglist Manager

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Thu Dec 29 17:03:39 UTC 2005

On 29-Dec-05, at 4:36 AM, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> All around the place I see people looking for solutions to get
> forum-Mailinglist integration. Its one of the most demanded
> features for
> grassroots and or consultatnts. Yet it seems to be the hardes to
> achieve. To
> achieve properly, i mean.

The hard part AFAIK seems to be actually installing/configuring the
required components, with the MLM being the hard part. The issue with
*many* MLMs is that they have little or no APIs, and/or don't store
their users in a database, making it very hard to create approved
postings on the fly. Also, a solution for 100 users should be easy
and simple to install and not need to scale, whereas a solution for
1000s of users will be complex to install and have to scale...which
one are you suggesting to build?

Also, I believe CivicSpace is spending a LOT of time on this. There
is a "recipe" on their site using Sympa, an open source mailing list
manager -- see http://civicspacelabs.org/home/dgroups-recipe

I've CC'd Kieran (kieran at civicspacelabs.org) -- I would suggest
contacting him directly if people are interested in working on this.

Ber, you're now banned from starting more "this is a neat idea but I
have no time -- please talk amongst yourselves" threads :P

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595