[consulting] and they call it drupalcamp -PHP Snippets and thehandbook need love

Michael Haggerty mhaggerty at trellon.com
Thu Feb 23 19:27:39 UTC 2006

Why not use the boot camps as a way to produce documentation, multimedia
clips, and more code-level examples of how to work with Drupal? Let part of
this be a training session, and part of it be a production where people show
off how to make good CivicSpace sites.

Something that occurs to me is that Drupal support is really following the
same track as Allaire did with ColdFusion years ago. There are mailing
lists, users groups, online portals for documentation and examples,
meetings, and experts there to answer questions. When ColdFusion passed onto
MacroMedia, the support became a lot slicker. There were highly visible
portals dedicated to discussing advanced topics, experts with their pictures
being published all over the place, multimedia presentations describing
where the product fit into the enterprise, video with people getting up
describing new features, etc.

Some of this is due to the fact MacroMedia was who they were, some of it is
just the demands of the market. Drupal documentation is one way to get
people's attention, but IT decision makers are a lot more sophisticated
(even at the tiny civic group level).

One thing I know is 'people' don't really like to read so much as have
people tell them what to do. Not 'people' as in brilliant thinkers deeply
concerned with the intersection of technology, culture, politics, free
markets and philosophy like you and me, but the great unwashed masses who
are amazed by Windows XP and really want to do something with this Intraweb
thing over their AOL dialup accounts. I would love to create a 'Drupal in a
Box' kit for people to download. Something that has a coordinated set of
documents and video that take you from conceptualizing a site, setting
drupal up on a server (or setting up Apache, PHP, MySQL then Drupal on a
server), designing a theme, configuring modules, building a custom module,
using PHPTemplate to override the appearance of various bits of Drupal, etc.
Something that says, end to end, here's what you do to get your Drupal
installation going and here's how you use the skills you already have to
work with Drupal. This could generate funds for Drupal.org through selling
DVD copies of the whole presentation and answer people's questions without
having to do a lot of research on the nuances you need to know to be
effecitve with the platform. We could easily do voiceovers for languages
other than English, and include subtitles in the cases of DVDs.

Anyways, Drupal Boot Camps could be a good way to do this. You would have
lots of creative minds in the right place at the right time, and it would be
great marketing for the shops where people work. After going to Vancouver, I
know there are a lot of friendly, telegenic, well spoken individuals who
would make great spokespersons and would probably flip at the chance to do
something like this.

  _____