[consulting] CMS comparison

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Wed May 10 19:26:54 UTC 2006

On 5/10/06, Jenny Hsueh <jenny at ondemand-network.com> wrote:
> Fully agree with what John said here. if creativity and unbound playing
> field is a decided focus of Drupal, then  for us on this consulting
> list  we have to come up with plan B if we to continue using  drupal as
> a business solution or plan C to keep drupal as a sandbox toy for ideas
> inspirations.
>
> The plan B - business wrapper around drupal can be provided in several
> layers,  such as providers of commercial grade modules/distros that is
> offered with a fee and with support, distribution/hosting  platforms
> with backward compatibility and performance issues all taken care of,
> individual consultants for specialized customization work and  finally
> the lazy guys who just go out,  find customers, collects the money and
> distribute them to all :-)
>
> With the way drupal is going, we all have to be a Jack of all trades
> master of none. I  can not  live up to the promise of what we said to
> our customers - routinely upgrade to the latest feature that is
> available in Drupal - as it is indeed very costly to upgrade!  The ASP
> model that Civicspace and Bryght is offering or planning to offer  is
> moving  to the right direction I think.

Jenny

I am a consultant using Drupal to sell services to customers, and one
can argue that it is in my selfish interest to freeze it.

However, I don't want Drupal to do that. The reason is that this very
creativity that makes the platform dynamic, poweful, flexible, yet
small and nimble as well.

I don't want Drupal to be boxed into this or that. Like a young child,
let it try everything and decide its own path without being forced into
something or other.

The last thing I want is for Drupal to become a slave to corporate
interest, no matter how lucrative this market is ...