[consulting] CMS comparison

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Wed May 10 19:48:56 UTC 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Khalid B wrote:

> On 5/10/06, Jenny Hsueh <jenny at ondemand-network.com> wrote:
>> Fully agree with what John said here. if creativity and unbound
>> playing
>> field is a decided focus of Drupal, then  for us on this consulting
>> list  we have to come up with plan B if we to continue using
>> drupal as
>> a business solution or plan C to keep drupal as a sandbox toy for
>> ideas
>> inspirations.... [snip]

> [snip]...The last thing I want is for Drupal to become a slave to
> corporate
> interest, no matter how lucrative this market is ...

Personally, I take Drupal's rapid evolution sans reverse
compatibility as a given. The core is changing so quickly and quite
radically, I do not want to be "slave" to the older code bases,
either. Already 4.7 has answered so many problems we ran into with
4.6. And the current development discussion on the next release
(4.8/5.0?) bodes well for some fabulous improvements, especially in
the area of scalability -- which, let's face it, is one of the
challenges we've all probably faced at least once, if not many times.

Part of what we at our company are selling is that the client is
"buying into" a community-developed platform, and that one of the
great advantages, aside from free code, is free ongoing development.
The cost is having to go through sometimes painful upgrades --
especially if the client wants hacked modules -- but the gain is
having new functionality and features that previously were not
available, leastwise not without investing in code work directly.

Laura