[consulting] Drupal Certification and Requirements

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 11:48:06 UTC 2007

... and a Happy New Year!

Why Drupal's active community holds the secret to why Drupal quality rocks
in a demanding situation, and how consultants can shine along with it.

Yesterday, I had an informal online status meeting with a client, on a site
with medium to large demands on Drupal configuration and customization.

Together with the client, we had written black box acceptance tests for the
user stories implemented in this iteration.

The client had run the tests the day before, and due to holiday festivities
I had been unable to see the results.

The client had spruced up one of the Taxonomy lists before running the tests
and so discovered two problems:

* a views bug in which the first taxonomy term was not appearing in a filter

* a pathauto bug, which was producing an error message and breaking a number
of pages

The fact that the issue queues on both modules had beaten us to the
situation (one in a matter of only days) is only possible due to the
fantastic high participation rate of the community itself, the only
guarantee for quality, and is the real reason why Drupal rocks.

I was able to find the problems and apply patches in a matter of minutes
(less than half an hour for both) just by visiting the issue queue of each
module:

fixed http://drupal.org/node/199675; and a pathauto bug (include access for
pathauto_cleanstring function) was discovered and fixed -
http://drupal.org/node/194669

So, maybe include in this costly documentation that is going to be written a
case history of how to use the issue queue in a busy community without which
no amount of documentation is going to solve anything.

saludos,

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar