[consulting] "How to write a RFP"

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Jan 17 17:27:34 UTC 2007

Paul Rooney wrote:
> I'd be interested in learning how shops that do not bid on projects  present their argument to potential clients. A developers version of
> http://www.no-spec.com could benefit everyone *if* there was a critical  mass of professionals that adhered to that policy. Unfortunately, there seem to be lots of companies that are willing to devote lots of time without guarantee of compensation.

There's something insidious about the purpose of  no-spec.com. It claims
to be experienced designers instructing newcomers "not to do what they
did" by working on spec.

Since newcomers don't have portfolios that the experienced shops do,
very often some freebies (or cut-rate bids) done early in one's career
(if handled properly) can be very useful down the road. It's only
natural that already-established businesses have the luxury of not
needing that tactic anymore.

>From that perspective no-spec.com should be seen as creating a barrier
to entry in the field, by seeking to eliminate a legitimate (and
universally understood) marketing tool -- free samples -- from the
arsenal of newcomers. It smacks of the less-savoury components of trade
unionism, and certainly qualifies an anti-competitive practise.

I'm always wary of "do what I say, not what I did" advice, and this is
no exception. Painting it as a faux ethical crusade just makes it worse.
Thankfully it has no chance of succeeding (and even if it did, it would
come under scrutiny of anti-trust legislation). Anyone who has ever
gained employment or other revenue as a result -- directly or indirectly
-- of their unpaid participation in a blog or open source community
project, has an obligation to oppose such initiatives.

What's next? Lecturing students not to do co-op?

- Evan