[consulting] copyright policies

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 04:53:18 UTC 2008

Sean, Bill

I do not want to diminish here the role of bricklayers
I infact am learning how to make bricks myself, and think that their role
is critical

However, when a bricklayer stars wanting to do the job of the architect, or
the engineer,
we have a problem.

Have you ever worked with a developer who is trying to put his 'creative
ideas'
into your design? I am sure there are times when this can happen
purposefully
and can be a great bonus to the project. There are other times when
this will cause the developer to get lost in their own fantastic design, and
not deliver
the functionality that I require, on budget , and on time.
I need abc, done today, with so much people hour budget.
the developer comes a long and says sure I can do abc, actually, I can also
do def and xyz, or even cba, fed, andz zyx. so two days later, after the
deadline has passed, he delivers  hcefxywtf. - he disagrees with my old abc
operational logic

thanks for the creative contribution folks, for the moment I only need the
functionality required, asap,
anyone there intersted in some work? I got plety of things open

oh btw - I forgot to say this
following up on the certification thread

After advertising on the site I got contacted (among others) by a developer
who said he was only going to work anonymously. I was not to know his
identity, and he would give me a good discount.Hellow????Do I want to give
the keys to my estate not knowing who the guy is??Is this guy a real
developer, a drupal adventurer, or someone who is ashamed to show his face
for whatever reason?

finding the right people for the job is not easy.... any initiative aimed to
help there would be appreciated

cheers
PDM

On Jan 26, 2008 9:43 PM, Bill Fitzgerald <bill at funnymonkey.com> wrote:

> Sean Burlington wrote:
> > paola.dimaio at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> When the bricklayer will work for this project, he will use his bricks,
> and
> >> his standard techniques,  and will learn new skills, and acquire new
> >> knowledge that before he did not have
> >> He will not be at liberty to reuse the unique architecture which in
> turn
> >> supports my unique
> >> service. That does not mean that it will not give other good ideas
> >>

> > but developing a Drupal site isn't analogous to laying bricks!
> >
> Exactly -- and this is why metaphors can be a hindrance, rather than an
> aid, to these types of conversations. The metaphors rarely apply
> directly. Add to that that few, if any of us, are lawyers, and that we
> are talking about law that varies from country to country. I'm confused
> just writing this :)
> > - and I think this is the source of at least part of the conflict -
> > managers see the development work as just an implementation of their
> concept
> >
> > - whereas many developers feel that they do far more than this and often
> >   contribute a great deal to the business model as well as providing a
> > lot of creative input.
> >
> While IANAL, part of the reason I like the idea of Project IP (a term I
> never knew about until our lawyer taught it to me -- and yes, although
> he used it in MY contract he's still free to use it with other clients
> ;) ) is that it puts the contributions of the developer to the business
> plan/organizational strategy right on the table.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Fitzgerald