[consulting] Retainer Plans

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Wed Sep 17 13:43:24 UTC 2008

Josh -- and anyone else,

Can you share how you structured your retainer program?

My biggest stuggle now is finding time for all my smaller clients who want
changes to their sites -- I'm finding it really hard to fit them in.  I'm at
the point where I have far more work than I can do and let's face it, the
big clients need to come first.

So, I've been thinking of offering smaller clients some type of retainer
program, where they buy so many hours a month.  This could also give me the
steady income to potentially take on an employee or regular freelance.

But I'm unclear how such a plan might work.  for instance, if they don't
have any changes, do they pay anyway?  Do hours rollover?  Do you schedule a
fixed time when you're available for them.

Thanks,
Sam