[consulting] Retainer Plans

Dave Terry dave.terry at mediacurrent.com
Thu Sep 18 14:52:30 UTC 2008

Josh, +1 on being transparent and sharing your rates...much appreciated.

I wanted to toss another question out there when it comes to retainer plans.
Chuck, with Acquia, can probably speak much better about this than me, but
what are the defined set of services (SOW) that you are covering in your
retainer agreements?  Do you offer guaranteed turn-around times to fix a
bug, do you offer 24x7 coverage or are calls outside of normal business
hours charged at an escalated rate?  Also, many small businesses just don't
get it - they may call you when the printer breaks or internet is down (even
though you are not hosting their site) because they think since you are
providing Drupal support that anything technology related is covered in
their retainer with you. Or maybe I am reading too much into this, and just
laundry listing the set of services you provide in an Agreement will
suffice.

Acquia has done an excellent job of defining their service level terms in
their subscription based model, but for expanding Drupal shops I see this as
a real challenge.

Any thoughts?