[consulting] General consultant's vent

Christian Pearce christian at pearcec.com
Thu Aug 6 19:38:47 UTC 2009

The lawyer analogy is good as a practice, but let us not forget if you want
to be a lawyer you have to pass the bar (at least in the US).  So already
there is a market differentiation.  Just about anyone can advertise I can do
Drupal work.  Does it mean they are qualified no.

Lawyers also have a lot of code of conduct when it comes to setting prices
and people can file a grievance with the state if they are unsatisfied.

I sort of like what I saw in this post recently, perhaps as a consulting
group we should take the categories listed below and work up some
descriptions of how we in the "Consulting Shop Rate" differentiate ourselves
from one another.  Let's turn this into something constructive. What to
help? ( Edit: http://groups.drupal.org/node/25054 )

http://drupal.org/node/536998
What is the market price for drupal work?

The answer to this question is that it depends:

Off-shore rate: $15-$20/hr

Freelancer Rate in North America: $30-$60

Consulting Shop Rate: $70-$100

High-end Consulting Shop Rate: $150-$250

P.S: I also know shops that charge $300/hr, and they are one of the most
experienced Drupal shops around and have built some of the biggest Drupal
sites.

Each of these categories come with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Christian Pearce
xforty technologies
484-951-0700
http://xforty.com