[consulting] At what percentage do you think most new sites will stop supporting IE6?

Ashish Gupta ashish.gupta at tekritisoftware.com
Fri Jun 19 04:20:01 UTC 2009

Well the percentage of ie usage maybe coming down, but we are yet to discuss
a project where ie6 compatibility was not in scope. In very time constrained
project the clients sometimes puts ie6 compatibility on a lower priority
allowing a launch with some IE6 issues, which get fixed post launch. Some
clients are fine with minor ie6 look issues as long as the functionalities,
navigation & usability goes on smoothly.

Quite agree with Ashraf, though ie6 is a pain its not such a big issue that
we should look at ignoring ie6 compatibility altogether (given that it still
is three times more popular that the browsers creating a buzz such as
safari). I would be rather surprised (though not disappointed J) if 50% of
clients said they were fine ignoring ie6.

One more thing from my experience is that for projects that run in a smooth
planned manner, the ie6 incompatibility issues can be anticipated and dealt
with without much ado. The issue come in projects that keep undergoing
iterations in a regular / unplanned manner.

Thanks & Regards,

Ashish Gupta

Vice President - Business Development

cid:image001.gif at 01C8F18A.B39CFCD0

Tel.      : +91-9313338550

Email    : ashish.gupta at tekritisoftware.com

Address : 726 Udyog Vihar Phase V,Gurgaon - 122016 India

Website : www.TekritiSoftware.com <http://www.tekritisoftware.com/>

                   www.webPRmanager.com <http://www.webprmanager.com/>