[consulting] Urgency Rate Markup

Kevin Finney kevin at webeasymedia.com
Thu Dec 9 18:10:37 UTC 2010

The amount to up charge should be proportional to the cost and discomfort of
knocking it out so quickly.

If you have other clients that will be distressed because you have to bump
them back, then that's a huge inconvenience. It could also effect your
reputation with those clients.

Understanding how "hard" the deadline is should be a factor too.

80% of most sites can look functionally complete with 20% of your effort.
 So if an 80% functional site isn't a problem for delivery of their product
- or you can repurpose the other 20% into a phase 2 project - then the
timing shouldn't be an issue.

Client and scope management are the issues, not the pricing.

Additionally, it sounds like this client needs something before the
holidays.  But if it's a school, they're going on break soon. So maybe the
client just needs something in place before the holidays, but you'll have 2
or more weeks over the holidays to polish it if need be.

As a general rule, I charge inconvenience fees just like I charge overtime
or holiday pay. Typically, that's just a 2x multiple.  And more often than
not "rational clients" (I know, that's an urban legend) will decide that the
2x is fine, because there really is an urgency, or that there really isn't
an urgency, and I'd rather pay normal, but wait a little longer.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

Kevin Finney
317.507.7754