[consulting] VPS? [was D7 side effects on the Development list]

jeff at ayendesigns.com jeff at ayendesigns.com
Thu Dec 9 23:46:23 UTC 2010

I'm moving this here because the question has morphed into one only
marginally assocated with development. I have a shared hosting account
with 'unlimited' domains and 25 database max. I have a few clients I
host, and several for which I keep a test version of their site up for
making changes before rolling them out. Plus I have my site and a blog,
etc. I received a letter saying that they now have a policy of 1000
tables max per hosting account. I was at 2200.

They don't do VPS, and if they did, I don't know whether the limitations
would go away. But if I get a second hosting account, it's not just a mv
in ssh, it will be download, upload, repoint the domains, etc., same as
if I move to another hoster or to a VPS.

I'd appreciate thoughts on whether I should do that, or consider a
VPS... 2 shared hosting accounts is only $200/year. I thought about
getting a static IP here and move the test sites here along with my own,
but AT&T charges $15/month for that, which is more than double the cost
of an additional hosting account.

--

Ayen Designs
388 Bullsboro Drive #105 · Newnan, Georgia 30263
IM (Yahoo) baalwww    (MSN) baalwww at yahoo.com
Skype: ayendesigns

Ayen Designs is a tradename of the computer services division of