[consulting] Contract terms for retained services

Joel Farris joel at transparatech.com
Mon Dec 13 19:55:31 UTC 2010

I like to list the sites I'm contracting for by name, specify how many deliverables I will be producing for the client, the approximate number of pages each will have, whether or not a deliverable will have artwork, graphs, flowcharts, etc., who is responsible for producing afore-mentioned artwork(s), what format the deliverables will be produced in, and what formats they won't. (i.e., 'All deliverables will be formatted as multipage, color PDFs. No Word documents, spreadsheets, or video/slideshow presentations will be produced during this engagement'.)

I also place some responsibility demands onto the client in the form of "All written inquiries should be responded to by client's point-of-contact person within the same business day they are received, even if the response is simply a "Let me find that out for you, and I'll have an answer by ___". Failure by the client to give a written response to written questions in a reasonable and timely manner may mean that the Deliverables deadline(s) of this project may be extended without penalty by TransparaTech, Inc to more closely align with the client's written response times.
--
Joel Farris
TransparaTech, Inc