[consulting] Billing Increments

Henry Poole poole at civicactions.com
Wed Jan 27 02:17:06 UTC 2010

At CivicActions (5 years ago) we began billing in 5 minute increments and
switched to 15 minutes a couple of years ago. The 15 minute increment seems
to be a good place for us. It catches a certain amount of context switching.

We've also been experimenting with flat monthly rates for certain roles.
Tracking by the minute for 5 years is a grind;)

Nice conversation!

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Jason A. Nunnelley <jason at jasonn.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I, for better or worse (probably worse), end up having a lot of very
> > small time increments as I answer an email here, make a small fix to a
>
> I tend to bill in 15 increments, with 1 hour minimum per day. I would
> try to find a way to make your billing system do that. But, if you
> can't, perhaps scheduling work efficiently will make up for the
> system's failings. For example, if you have a client that's switching
> you back to their task for smaller blocks of time, you're likely not
> really in control of your schedule appropriately enough to bill as a
> contractor (that way). You should block out bigger chunks of time for
> that client or default bill them a daily fee for your "drop what I'm
> doing," service.
>
> --
>
> Jason A. Nunnelley

Henry Poole | c: +1.510.684.3180
CivicActions LLC | empowering social impact through emerging technology

Now In Lafayette, CA