[consulting] multisite with single userbase

Joshua Brauer joshua at brauerranch.com
Sun Dec 11 20:44:51 UTC 2011

It's possible and works pretty well if the use cases are right. However it's also not just as trivial as sharing the tables as there have been changes.

For one thing Drupal 7 hashes passwords differently. You can get them to be more compatible by using this module http://drupal.org/project/phpass

Since you don't need single sign-on that will simplify things as part of the challenge can be with session cookies since they are also different. The biggest thing you'll need is good testing. It can work pretty well. One thing to look into is using '.' prefixing instead of '_'. The article at http://drupal.org/node/22267 suggests sharing tables in a single database (shared_) but using separate databases for the tables assuming you're using MySQL is probably good (shared. instead).

Thanks,
Josh

Twitter: @jbrauer | Linked In | joshuabrauer.com