[consulting] Purpose?

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Wed Mar 23 16:36:51 UTC 2011

The answer to this question is that no one really knows what this list is
for and whomever is in charge isn't the type to lay down the rules.

This has come up half a dozen times in the past few years.  Whenever things
get a little heated we go meta and have this discussion about the purpose of
the list.

When things get really heated, someone threatens to do away with this list.

Only thing I know for sure is that a lot of Drupal consultant are very
sensitive about people disagreeing and, IMO, a bit too worried about what
people think (clients, the community, God -- who knows).

The good thing about this list is that a lot of the self-appointed
list-police have gone away.  It used to be that people popped up all the
time to tell people what isn't appropriate.  I think a lot of those probably
unsubscribed -- or realized it's not productive to constantly have that
conversation.  Though, as we have seen, it still happens.

In my opinion, I think it should be made clear that this list is for Drupal
consultants to discuss topics they want to discuss with other Drupal
consultants, that it's a community based on what the participants do and not
defined by a topic.  I also think it's not the place for non-consultants to
join and post jobs or anything else for that matter.  But that's just my
opinion and a lot of folks disagree with me about that.

Best,
Sam