[drupal-devel] image_import.module ready for early testing

Scott Courtney scott at 4th.com
Mon Apr 4 13:52:03 UTC 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 03:25, Tim Altman wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 00:32:46 +0200, Scott Courtney <scott at 4th.com> wrote:
> > The idea is a good one, but it's not quite as simple as just creating a
> > directory. What I probably need to do is to create it only when the
> > user actually comes into the image_import main page for the first time.
> > There are also some security problems possible (too tight, not too
> > loose), because the default permissions on new directories created by the
> > web server often don't allow ordinary users to read or write within the new
> > directory. But I'm hesitant to just blithely open 777 permissions on a
> > directory that is auto-created. That might rankle some sysadmins (I know
> > it would not please me, for one).
>
> 	I think similar problems have been encountered with creating the 'files'
> directory when an admin first visits admin > settings.  Maybe Drupal
> should have a generic 'create directory' utility function that handles all
> the permissions automagically.

Perhaps so...but it's not something I have time to do right now. :-)

If you want to take a crack at a patch to auto-create the directories only when
it makes sense to do so, I would certainly consider it for the next version.
I'm trying to avoid having people commit CVS on this module without letting me
review the patches first, but I would be glad review and probably accept a
well-coded patch of this type.

> 	I didn't get a chance to test your updates this weekend.  Hopefully I'll
> have some time this coming week.

That's okay. We've had a death in my wife's family and I don't think I'll have
a lot of time to code this week anyway, so don't sweat it. (And please, if
anyone else submits test reports this week, don't be offended if I don't
respond right away. My first priority is to be there for my wife, as I'm sure
you understand.)

Scott