[drupal-devel] CVS question: Multiple branch tags on a module

Jim Riggs drupal-lists at jimandlissa.com
Tue Apr 12 19:46:31 UTC 2005

On 12 Apr, 2005, at 14:19, Syscrusher wrote:

> Now, when I modify a file and do a CVS commit of the new version, my
> understanding of the documentation on drupal.org is that I:
>
> 1. From a checked out local copy of HEAD, do a "cvs update -dP" to
> make sure
>    I have the latest version of everything relevant.
> 2. Do whatever changes are needed to the file(s) of my module.
> 3. Do a "cvs commit", which will update HEAD only and not 4.6 or
> 4.5 branches.
> 4. Do a "cvs tag -b DRUPAL-4-6 {filenames}" and repeat for DRUPAL-4-5.

NO!!!  :-)

You will never tag again.  You only tag files once.  Keep a copy
checked out for the versions on which you are working:

cvs co -d hof-HEAD contributions/modules/hof
cvs co -d hof-4.6 -r DRUPAL-4-6 contributions/modules/hof
cvs co -d hof-4.5 -r DRUPAL-4-5 contributions/modules/hof

Make changes as needed to each version.  When you check in, the
checkin will happen on that branch:

cd hof-4.6
[make changes]
cvs ci -m '4.6 changes' hof.module # changes made on 4.6 branch

cd ../hof-HEAD
[make different changes]
cvs ci -m 'HEAD changes' hof.module # changes made on HEAD branch

...etc...

Now you can get more sophisticated with merging, but it's often not
worth the headache.  Make changes in the various places independently
(copy and paste are your friends ;-) and then commit on each branch.
Don't try to tag again, though.  It's already a done deal.

- Jim