[bayes][bcc][faked-from] Re: [development] Scratching an itch: Machine Learning

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Tue Dec 6 16:37:53 UTC 2005

During my studies I did some exciting simulations of a fuzzy logic control
systems (simulated a control of a gasturbine and a control of a ABS for an
airplane).
About half a year ago I did some small tests to see if it was possible to get
some AI using fuzzy logic in Drupal. After investigating this for a short
time, I concluded that PHP is not suited for this, and that Drupal is too
HTML/content oriented (as opossed to data-oriented) to handle this.

In order to get any sort of AI and / or learning system in, we need:
 * external libraries, PHP is Just Not Ready for this. (performance, memory,
and library wise)
 * approach Drupal pages more as objects and as datamodels, rather then the
current way of passing around glued together strings.
(theme/module/nodeapi/database all have private glueing systems, there is not
a central place where one can access *all* data, including blocks etc, on a
data level, where you can poke around in metadata or objects.)
  things that are interesting are:
   * theme_list lists, they tell us that any item in any such list has a
certain relation to the other one.
   * node teaser lists: Same as above.
   * user lists: any user in any list has a certain relation to the other
users in these lists. We use several such lists. We must fins a way to filter
out tabbed browsing, then we have very valuable data on the behaviour of
users on a site.
   * comment - node relations. The content of a comment tells a lot about a
post.

This is very interesting. :)

Ber