[development] proposal for theming nodes

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Dec 14 15:32:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

way too often i have to hack modules or even core (upload) to make it *not*
append HTML to $node->body.

I think this practice of appending stuff to the body is very bad, since it
makes it impossible to add thatdata elsewhere, without duplication.

I think that teh best option is an additional variable in $node
$node->extra
containing structured data added by all the modules.
$node->extra->upload could, for example contain that uplaod/attachement table,
that is now hardcoded to the body.

In the very very end, the theme_node will iterate over all these ->extra 's
and append them to teh body.

Now, the code, the patch, should not be too hard to make, its just a few lines
to the theme_node functions

The hard part, imho is to convert **all** core modules to use this. and with
All i mean all :). Taxononomy, for example, should add its terms in there,
while book module should add its navigation.

The other thing is, that while this annoys me a huge lot, i just don't have
time to get a patch going, untill at least end of Januari.

Waht do others think
Bèr

PS: Im not to sure about tis crossposting thing, but there are loads of theme
and developers issues; is it safe to assume that interested parties at least
read development? (so that we can keep this on development)
 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc
 PGP berkessels at gmx.net
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_gmx.asc