[development] let's cleanup /misc

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Dec 29 13:16:11 UTC 2005

Hi:

Op woensdag 28 december 2005 20:46, schreef Larry Garfield:
> So while I'm not against the idea of reorganizing Drupal files to make more
> sense / be more secure, pitching it as "because RoR does" is not
> necessarily a good way to market it.

Lets not start debating on how feasible or not RoR is. :)

Lets see what RoR can do for Drupal. Lets just look at it and learn from it.

RoR had this particular issue (layout of the files) very well thought out.
Indeed very much focussed on development, but we are discussing this on
development at drupal,org, so why not focus on that. The whole layout issue,
after all will not even be noticed by Joe Average. Its purely a development
issue, IMO.

Now about the route:
DrupalCOM will be restructured to resemble (kindof) that structure i posted. I
have to work out some more details (better SVN repos support for separate
sites on a multihost for one) but I beleive we should use that drupalCOM as a
sandbox. Once we are truly happy about it, and once we found that it actually
works much better we can propose this back to Drupal itself. This change is a
too big thing to do in an issue on drupal.org. Besides: CVS does not allow us
to write patches for moving stuff around.

DrupalCOM:
It is still vapourware. I am now setting up the whole infrastructure, but am
still not too sure about details as whether or not to keep all this on
drupal.org (CVS is not particularly friendly for such a project) or to move
it to a dedicated location (splintering the community is even worse IMO)

Docs are all scattered around on my Drupal wiki on webschuur.com. I will be
moving this into the abovementioned infrastructure.

Ber