[drupal-devel] [Fwd: other CMS's?]

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 2 15:19:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> It's all about convenience and comfort.

Indeed.

That is good for him.

> plus it had more modules to play around with.

Even more modules? I am starting to believe we should kick out or merge
at least half the Drupal contrib modules as they provide very similar or
not very often needed functionality and the plethora or modules is
rather confusing. And we should evaluate if we want a module in contrib
before letting somebody add it.

> And that got me to thinking, why I am using Drupal? Why do I spend
> hours a day tinkering with it? Why do I put up with the frustrations
> and headaches?

I can't answer his, I don't get headaches when setting up Drupal sites.
But I guess that is due to experience.

> So I'll ask you guys - why Drupal/Civicspace over other CMS's?

I never looked much at other CMSes. I chose Drupal because I could let
others help translate the interface to German.

Later I found out that Drupal's code is vastly better organized and
better readable than most other CMSes I looked at.

> Not to worry, I'm a loyal CS guy. But I thought it'd be interesting
> to see what your responses were, and maybe then I can convert my
> friend back...

If he is happy with Xoops, why bother? He has found the software he
wants to use and that should be respected. It is very well possible that
Xoops is the better choice for the type of site that he wants to have.
For example I believe that Drupal is overkill for most simple blogging
sites.

What I think would be interesting for the Drupal developers is a more
detailed description of what exactly makes your friend more comfortable
with Xoops.

Cheers,
	Gerhard