[drupal-devel] settings inconsistencies

Carl McDade carl_mcdade at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 10:51:42 UTC 2005

Bèr Kessels wrote:

>Op donderdag 3 februari 2005 09:45, schreef Carl McDade:
>> This philosofy is one that is solid in other software industries but
>> only in parts of Drupal. Holding to it in the case of modules would
>> solve a lot of the problems with UI and and database modification.
>
>This philosofy is -and i am happy about that- nbot Drupals. It is this
>philosofy that made *nuke a unmaintanable chaos, anarchy.
>
>No, We have this idea of modules-that-extend-modules now, and we will
>stick to
>that AFAIKS (AFAIKH as far as i can hope). The next step in this
>philosofy
>are the bundlles. For weblinks we are working on an example.
>

>Regards,
> Bèr

This paradigm is not condusive to bloat or anarchy in that the true core
is controlled and developed with care. The core does  not have to make
accomodations for a needed functionality to be added. What this allows
is the implementation of other software as modules and the possiblilty
of developing modules as stand alone software. The ability to borrow
from or connect to the core rather than weighing it down with
interdependancies is the best method for continued improvement without
the luggage of performance and usability problems. Items brought into
the core could actually be made smaller and more powerful by bringing
them closer to  the core rather than weakening the core by making adhoc
adjustments and increasing its size with extensions.

Mvh

--
Carl McDade
Information Technology Consult