[drupal-devel] settings inconsistencies

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 21:23:29 UTC 2005

Steven Wittens wrote:
> However, a big -1 from me on moving them under admin>users. I don't
> think people will see "access control" and "profile setup" as something
> to with "adminstering users". For me, "users" are the people. Setting up
> profile fields is not "administer users", it is editing the people's
> profile information which is. Setting up rules is not "administer
> users", choosing which people go in what role is.

I agree for the most part, but I always hesitate when I see the words "I
don't think people will..." since we all know that all people are
different.  I *personally* would look for access control with users (or
at least near users: as in, admin>user access control), but that's just
me... and at the end of the day, I don't care where I find it as long as
the functionality exists :)

How about the following local tasks is users:

Users (default - currently called list)
  -Add User (local task to users>users)
Roles
-Add Role (local task to users>roles)
Configure

3 tabs that are very specific to users and nothing else. (I know that
list is a standard Drupal thing, but it is completely non descriptive,
and in this case 'list' wouldn't differentiate between listing users and
listing roles)

As for access control: leave it outside of users, and have its local
tasks be:

Permissions (default)
Rules

Nothing else (until such time that new access control features exist)

andre (happy to do the patch if peole like this idea)