[drupal-devel] rel=nofollow

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 04:29:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:08:06 -0500, Andre Molnar
<mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Todd Grimason wrote:
> > Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere here yet:
> > http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html
> > In short, adding an attribute to an anchor tag:
> > rel="nofollow"
> > will cause participating search engines to not follow/count the link
> > (Google, MSN, and Yahoo! so far).
> > So anywhere there's a link in user-submitted content you'd add this.
>
> Won't stop the spammers - but at least their efforts will be wasted.

I'm not sure that there is much point to this...spam.module is MUCH
more effective at making this not a problem. And what if you WANT user
submitted content to count towards pagerank? Like, say, people in
forums constantly pointing to the same RTFM post.

Do spammers spam to raise page rank? Or do spammers spam so that other
people see/click on their links?

*grumble, grumble, grumble*

--
Boris Mann